I need to lead in a transforming organisation:
I want to help others to lead with outcomes:
We help leaders and engaged team members at every level to gain fluency in the language of outcomes – developing and pursuing strategies together, innovating, learning, and adapting as the organisation renews and transforms itself from the inside. More...
Agendashift as framework
Its top level elements are its strategies, generative patterns, and the agenda for change. Of somewhat less importance are the core activities that package up many of the tools and exercises for which Agendashift is known. Through all of those run a golden thread, the language of outcomes.
In the form of three questions, three leadership principles and meta strategies – strategies for getting better at the kinds of strategy that tend to drive transformation:
- What if we put agreement on outcomes before solutions?
- How do we keep bringing outcomes to the foreground?
- Where – and where else – could we be developing and pursuing strategy?
Each of those represents a possible starting point:
- Authentic agreement on meaningful outcomes – the right people in the room, outcomes articulated in the participants’ own words and organised coherently into strategy
- Paying attention to the role of outcomes in the organisation's everyday and longer-cadence feedback opportunities; developing containers for innovation
- Recognising the range of scales and scopes (existing or potential) in which better strategy conversations could happen
Supporting the strategies, three generative patterns – non-prescriptive, repeatable, and recognisable structures into which a range of conversational and organisational tools can easily be inserted:
- Ideal, Obstacles, Outcomes (IdOO)
- Meaning before metric, measure before method (2MBM)
- Right-to-Left Strategy Deployment (or simply Right to Left)
The agenda for change
From the 2nd edition of Agendashift (2021):
[The] agenda for change doesn’t start with a solution idea or a “target state” design. It is made principally of outcomes and the relationships between outcomes, and it is created, developed, and maintained through participation and experimentation. It’s an expression of shared understanding and strategy that unfolds and evolves as the organisation learns.
- Theory of change (en.wikipedia.org)
The core activities provide teachable and repeatable demonstrations of the patterns, using some of our favourite tools. NB: Other structures and tool choices are encouraged!
- Engagement model
- Models, sources, and inspirations
- Five principles (mainly of historical value now)
Copyright © 2015-2022 Agendashift Ltd (formerly Positive Incline Ltd). All rights reserved. The page Agendashift as framework by Mike Burrows of Agendashift Ltd is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/.
Source text maintained at github.com/asplake/agendashift-open/tree/master/framework.md (github.com)
For image source files (or simply to join the Agendashift mailing list), just ask:
I understand that I will be joining the Agendashift mailing list also
- Agendashift's five core activities
- Models, sources, and inspirations
- Agendashift: Outcome-oriented change and continuous transformation (2nd edition 2021)
- Right to Left: The digital leader’s guide to Lean and Agile (2019, audiobook 2020)
Meet us online
Agendashift™ is brought to you by Agendashift Ltd (formerly Positive Incline Ltd), UK-based specialists in leadership, engagement, strategy, and change. Founder Mike Burrows came to prominence in the Lean-Agile community as the originator of Kanban’s values model, out of which came his first book, Kanban from the Inside (2014). His more recent books Agendashift (2nd edition 2021) and Right to Left (2019, audiobook 2020) bring a resolutely needs-based and outcome-oriented perspective to change, transformation, and the Lean-Agile landscape as a whole, contributing meanwhile a number of popular tools, games, and other resources. He works as a consultant, facilitator, and trainer, and as a keynote speaker at events public and private around the world.
Copyright © 2015-2022 Agendashift Ltd (formerly Positive Incline Ltd). All rights reserved. Privacy, security, and usage policies