Agendashift as framework: Models, sources, and inspirations
We’re working at the exciting intersection of strategy, organisation development, and (Lean-Agile) delivery – helping each other grow in scope and capability, raising our game individually and collectively. Here are some of Agendashift’s diverse sources, influences, and inspirations.
Unless otherwise specified, ‘chapters’ below refer to the Agendashift book, Agendashift: Outcome-oriented change and continuous transformation (2018); its recommended reading page is organised by chapter.
Right to Left: The digital leader’s guide to Lean and Agile (2019, audiobook 2020) has its own recommended reading page also.
Discovery and Exploration
- Clean Language, Solutions Focus, GROW, and Toyota Kata
- Lean, Agile, and Lean-Agile (Lean and Agile get a chapter each in Right to Left; the book as a whole provides an outcome-oriented perspective on the Lean-Agile landscape)
- Kanban’s values model provides the primary organisation of the assessment; see Kanban from the Inside (2014)
- References for chapters 1 & 2
- Additional references included in the description of the pattern Ideal, Obstacles, Outcomes (IdOO)
- Cynefin, for the 4 Points contextualisation exercise (which we refer to by the pseudonym ‘Option Approach Mapping’ until we are ready to introduce the Cynefin model)
- Wardley Mapping (see Right to Left chapter 5, Outside In), the inspiration for Option Relationship Mapping (Karl Scotland and Liz Keogh)
- User Story Mapping, the inspiration for Pathway Mapping
- Reverse STATIK, which provides a secondary organisation of the assessment and the ‘spine’ of the Pathway Map
- X-Matrix and TASTE
See the references for chapter 3.
Elaboration and Operation
- PDCA/PDSA (Plan/Do/Check/Act), aka the Deming Cycle or Shewhart Cycle (our reservations about cycles notwithstanding)
- Lean Startup, OKR, and 4DX
- Servant Leadership (Greenleaf) and Leader-Leader (Marquet)
- Sociocracy (aka Circular Organisation, Dynamic Governance)
- Management Cybernetics – Viable System Model, Law of Requisite Variety, Redundancy of Potential Command etc
- References for Agendashift chapters 4 & 5
- References for Right to Left chapters 4, 5 & 6
- Additional references included in the description of the pattern Right-to-Left Strategy Deployment
We are glad also to note strong correspondences between Agendashift and recent work in the Dialogic Organisation Development community, Gervase Bushe’s model of generative change in particular. These references are likely to be found in the planned second edition of the Agendashift book:
- The Dynamics of Generative Change, Gervase R. Bushe (BMI Publishing, 2020)
- Dialogic Organization Development: The Theory and Practice of Transformational Change, Gervase R. Bushe and Robert J. Marshak (Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2015)
- How I choose my models (blog.agendashift.com, October 2020)
Agendashift™ is copyright © 2015-2021 Positive Incline Ltd. All rights reserved. The page Models, sources, and inspirations by Mike Burrows of Positive Incline Ltd is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/.
Source text maintained at github.com/asplake/agendashift-open/tree/master/framework/models-sources-inspirations.md (github.com)
For image source files (or simply to join the Agendashift mailing list), just ask:
I understand that I will be joining the Agendashift mailing list also
- Agendashift as framework
- Agendashift's five core activities
Meet us online
Agendashift™ is brought to you by Positive Incline Ltd, UK-based specialists in Lean, Agile, strategy, and change. Founder Mike Burrows came to prominence in the Lean-Agile community as the orginator of Kanban’s values model, out of which came his first book, Kanban from the Inside (2014). His more recent books Agendashift (2018) and Right to Left (2019, audiobook 2020) bring a resolutely needs-based and outcome-oriented perspective to change, transformation, and the Lean-Agile landscape as a whole, contributing meanwhile a number of popular tools, games, and other resources. He works as a consultant, facilitator, and trainer, and as a keynote speaker at events public and private around the world.
Agendashift™ is copyright © 2015-2021 Positive Incline Ltd. All rights reserved. Privacy, security, and usage policies