Agendashift as framework: Agendashift's five core activities
Agendashift’s core activities simultaneously describe:
- Ongoing activities required in any organisation successfully undergoing strategic levels of change
- The Agendashift workshop sessions designed to prime the pump for these activities
The pages below describe the core activities as workshop sessions:
- Discovery: Getting a shared sense of where we’d like to get to, identifying needs, ambitions and aspirations as well as shorter-term outcomes
- Exploration: Identifying opportunities for change, exploring outcomes in more depth
- Mapping: Visualising plans and priorities, understanding the relationships between outcomes
- Elaboration: Keeping the change process fed with ideas, framing options as hypotheses and developing them as experiments
- Operation (covered to at most a limited extent in shorter workshops): The infrastructure of organisation design required to sustain change
The 2018 book Agendashift: Outcome-oriented change and continuous transformation is organised in the same way.
Whether as activities or sessions, the core activities can usefully be seen in turn as implementations of Agendashift’s two key patterns, with the Mapping activity bridging the two:
- Ideal, Obstacles, Outcomes (IdOO) – the pattern repeated across Discovery and Exploration
- Right-to-Left Strategy Deployment – the pattern spanning Elaboration and Operation
The framework overview image (top) shows the core activities mapped both to the patterns and to the Agendashift principles (numbered 1-5).
Agendashift™ is copyright © 2015-2021 Positive Incline Ltd. All rights reserved. The page Agendashift's five core activities by Mike Burrows of Positive Incline Ltd is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/.
Source text maintained at github.com/asplake/agendashift-open/tree/master/framework/core-activities.md (github.com)
For image source files (or simply to join the Agendashift mailing list), just ask:
I understand that I will be joining the Agendashift mailing list also
- Agendashift as framework
- Models, sources, and inspirations
- Agendashift: Outcome-oriented change and continuous transformation (2nd edition 2021)
- Right to Left: The digital leader’s guide to Lean and Agile (2019, audiobook 2020)
Meet us online
Agendashift™ is brought to you by Positive Incline Ltd, UK-based specialists in Lean, Agile, strategy, and change. Founder Mike Burrows came to prominence in the Lean-Agile community as the orginator of Kanban’s values model, out of which came his first book, Kanban from the Inside (2014). His more recent books Agendashift (2nd edition 2021) and Right to Left (2019, audiobook 2020) bring a resolutely needs-based and outcome-oriented perspective to change, transformation, and the Lean-Agile landscape as a whole, contributing meanwhile a number of popular tools, games, and other resources. He works as a consultant, facilitator, and trainer, and as a keynote speaker at events public and private around the world.
Agendashift™ is copyright © 2015-2021 Positive Incline Ltd. All rights reserved. Privacy, security, and usage policies