The Agendashift™ Unbenchmarking Service
A different kind of assessment with unique, machine-assisted analysis. This is not the lazy consultant's way of telling you that you're not using their favourite practices; neither is it “everyone else is better than you” (they aren't) or “you're doing it wrong” (we're not here to judge). It's there to help you find a way forward from where you are now, wherever that happens to be.
When and why to unbenchmark
- You’re embarking on a journey of Lean-Agile transformation and you want a better understanding of the landscape you’ll be navigating
- Your improvement efforts are stalling and it’s time to agree priorities afresh
- As input to your corporate culture exercise, team retrospective, departmental meeting, or offsite
- Anytime you need to reorient, re-baseline, take stock, and re-energise
- When it’s time to take a regular checkpoint
- As a low-commitment step before taking an Agendashift workshop or engaging an Agendashift partner
How it works
- We set up for you an online survey with the full 43-prompt Agendashift delivery assessment
- You distribute it internally for your staff to complete by the agreed deadline
- We report back to you:
- The overall distribution of your scores
- Stronger and weaker categories and prompts, as measured in absolute terms (without reference to other data)
- Categories and prompts whose aggregate scores are above or below the expected profile given the correlations we have observed
- Areas of agreement and disagreement, reinforcing the more obvious findings and creating opportunities for story-gathering where the picture is more mixed
- The complete set of aggregate results for all categories and prompts (twice over in fact – one set for prioritisation purposes, another for planning)
If you’re a veteran of one of our workshops or you have read the Agendashift book (chapters 2 and 3 in particular), you’ll recognise this reporting structure. It reflects how we typically organise a survey debrief and the mapping exercises that follow.
The new and exciting bit is the identification of data points above or below the expected profile, ie scores that differ from what might be expected given your survey's overall shape and the correlations between scores we observe elsewhere. We’ve used machine learning techniques on our growing dataset to create a model of survey results to which yours can be fitted; the deviations above and below the best-fit model identify what’s particular to you. Instead of a crude index or vanity metric that’s meaningless in the context of an open-ended journey of transformation, we give you detailed insights you can actually work with.
Should you decide to repeat the exercise at some later date, any significant changes to your profile will cause new areas of interest to be highlighted. Just as you’d expect!
In this real example, the three prompts whose scores lie furthest below the expected profile clearly have something in common:
As illustrated here, the biggest opportunities can hide in unexpected places, away from where absolute scores are obviously weak. Unbenchmarking highlights these potential action items for you automatically.
What happens next is of course up to you. However, the process of turning prioritised prompts into an agreed plan of actionable outcomes appropriate to your unique context is something we are well practised at facilitating; no matter wherever you are located, we should be able to find you some valuable support.
Online and offline, the unbenchmarking report
Online, the unbenchmarking report is presented as a simple single page app (SPA). It's facilitator-friendly, taking you through survey results in the same tried-and-tested sequence that we use in our workshops. You can even page through it with your clicker!
For offline purposes, it prints nicely to A4 and US Letter page sizes. Here’s a sample as a 14-page PDF download:
Note: This sample isn’t quite the full report. We’ve taken a full-sized (43-prompt) survey and applied the 18-prompt mini edition template to it. The latter has one prompt (3.3) not included in the original survey, which is why it shows no scores.
The sections titled Complete survey results, original order and Complete survey results, pathway order are specifically designed for printing, optimised for the 43-prompt template (which explains the significant areas of white space in the sample pdf). We find that paper copies of these two sections are invaluable in workshop settings.
The Agendashift unbenchmarking service is priced at £75 (about €82 or $98) per survey plus £1 per person over 10 people surveyed, with survey sizes specified in advance.
Several discounts are available:
- We make generous allowances for charitable, non-profit, educational, and government organisations
- If you’re based outside the major economies we can make PPP adjustments
- For large exercises involving multiple teams or departments, you may find it helpful to receive both separate and combined results; pricing will depend on complexity but multiple surveys will in general attract discounts.
- Similarly, repeat exercises (eg quarterly) will be discounted
The Agendashift delivery assessment is already included as prework for our transformation strategy and practitioner’s workshops. Where workshops follow unbenchmarking we’ll adjust workshop pricing appropriately. You won’t pay twice!
Finally, you should consider engaging one of our partners, professionals well qualified to support you in your journey of transformation.
Get in touch now to arrange your unbenchmarking exercise:
Meet us online
Agendashift™ is brought to you by Positive Incline Ltd, UK-based specialists in Lean-Agile transformation. Founder Mike Burrows pioneered the values model for the Kanban Method that led to his definitive book, Kanban from the Inside. His new book Agendashift: Outcome-oriented change and continuous transformation was published in May 2017.
Agendashift™ is copyright © 2015-2018 Positive Incline Ltd. All rights reserved. Privacy, security and usage policies