This workshop is offered both publicly and privately.
Workshops: Wholehearted:OKR – Integrating strategy, development, and delivery
Objectives and Key Results (OKR) is – to use the Wikipedia definition – a framework for defining and tracking objectives and their outcomes. Done well (wholeheartedly), it’s a great model for participatory strategy deployment. Done badly... well let’s just say that you don’t want to do it badly!
OKR joins Lean and Agile as one of those things for which the way you introduce it matters at least as much as the thing itself, placing it very much within the scope of Agendashift, the wholehearted and outcome-oriented engagement model and open framework for participatory change. Happily, their respective aims coincide in the importance they attach to outcomes and to the integration of strategy, development, and delivery.
This workshop addresses 5 key challenges with OKR:
- How to define objectives that are relevant, meaningful, compelling, and generative
- How to measure key results with insightful metrics that will guide and stretch appropriately
- How to deliver key results – finding the innovations
- How to manage at multiple levels of detail
- How to support and sustain the process
Of all our workshops, Wholehearted:OKR delivers the most complete realisation of Agendashift’s wholehearted mission. It demonstrates how to create opportunities for:
- Authentic engagement on issues that matter
- Meaningful participation across strategy, development, and delivery
- Anticipating and meeting needs
- Leadership around outcomes (each inviting the other)
Run this workshop within your organisation and you will be creating these opportunities as you learn. Or join a public workshop and share with other practitioners – the choice is yours!
The Wholehearted:OKR workshop comprises 8 sessions of between 90 and 120 minutes each, typically delivered in 4 half days or 2 full days, online by default.
Sessions 1-4: Outside in strategy – customer and external environment first
- Identifying the adaptive challenge
- Introducing OKR, 4DX, and Agendashift
- Stories as expressions of strategy, the meaning behind the metric
Outside-in strategy review (I)
Find your objectives
- Plan on a Page
- Option Approach Mapping (not its real name)
- Option Relationship Mapping
- Define your “Wildly important goal” (WIG)
Outside-in strategy review (II)
Sessions 5-8: Right to left and upside down – outcome-orientation and organisation design
- Knowledge discovery process
- Double loop learning
- Sustaining cycles
- Right-to-Left Strategy Deployment
Identify your measures of success
- ODIM: Objective, Decision, Insight, Metric
- X-Matrix / TASTE: True North, Aspirations, Strategies, Tactics, Evidence
- The 2MBM pattern: Meaning before Metric, Measure before Method
- Leading & lagging indicators; Balancing metrics; Scoreboard
- The organisational view: Who identifies with what metric?
Options and experiments
- Strategic prioritisation
- Generating and selecting ideas
- Experiment A3
Organising for (mutual) accountability
- Cadence of accountability
- Organising in circles
- Outside-in Service Delivery Review (OI-SDR)
- OKR (en.wikipedia.org)
- There will be caveats: Warming cautiously to OKR (blog.agendashift.com)
- Implementing your Outside-in Service Delivery Review (OI-SDR) – the short training workshop corresponding to session 8 above
- The generative patterns Ideal, Obstacles, Outcomes (IdOO) and Right-to-Left Strategy Deployment
- Right to Left: The digital leader’s guide to Lean and Agile (2019, audioboook 2020)
This workshop was created in collaboration with Karl Scotland, Steven Mackenzie, Kjell Tore Guttormsen, and Mike Haber.
Agendashift™ is copyright © 2015-2021 Positive Incline Ltd. All rights reserved. The page Wholehearted:OKR – Integrating strategy, development, and delivery by Mike Burrows of Positive Incline Ltd is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/.
Source text maintained at github.com/asplake/agendashift-open/tree/master/workshops/wholehearted-okr.md (github.com)
For image source files (or simply to join the Agendashift mailing list), just ask:
I understand that I will be joining the Agendashift mailing list also
- The workshops:
- About Agendashift
- Agendashift as framework
- The books:
- The Agendashift blog (blog.agendashift.com)
- Agendashift communities on Slack and LinkedIn
Meet us online
Agendashift™ is brought to you by Positive Incline Ltd, UK-based specialists in Lean, Agile, strategy, and change. Founder Mike Burrows came to prominence in the Lean-Agile community as the orginator of Kanban’s values model, out of which came his first book, Kanban from the Inside (2014). His more recent books Agendashift (2018) and Right to Left (2019, audiobook 2020) bring a resolutely needs-based and outcome-oriented perspective to change, transformation, and the Lean-Agile landscape as a whole, contributing meanwhile a number of popular tools, games, and other resources. He works as a consultant, facilitator, and trainer, and as a keynote speaker at events public and private around the world.
Agendashift™ is copyright © 2015-2021 Positive Incline Ltd. All rights reserved. Privacy, security, and usage policies