I need to lead in a transforming organisation:
I want to help others to lead with outcomes:
We help leaders and engaged team members at every level to gain fluency in the language of outcomes – developing and pursuing strategies together, innovating and adapting as the organisation learns to renew and transform itself. More...
Workshops: Coaching with Outcomes (CwO)
Update: Until April 2021 this interactive workshop was previously known as Leading with Outcomes (LwO). That name now belongs to the corresponding (and complementary) self-paced training.
In this hands-on workshop of two 2-hour sessions we practice two related things:
- Putting outcomes before solutions, being outcome-oriented
- The language of outcomes as an essential discipline for managers, coaches, facilitators, and consultants
At this workshop’s heart is the IdOO pattern, short for Ideal, Obstacles, Outcomes. Demonstrating its power and flexibility we use this pattern twice, implementing it with a range of different tools over the two sessions.
Whatever your role, if you’re in the business of encouraging innovation, change, and transformation – helping people engage meaningfully in change-related work – then this workshop is for you. Our short training workshops Strategic Mapping with Outcomes and Probe! are ideal followups.
Among this workshop’s sources and inspirations are Clean Language, Solutions Focus, Challenge Mapping, Lean, and Agile. The Agendashift™ delivery assessment is included in the second session.
Online, this participatory workshop is conducted ‘open mic’ via Zoom and Google Docs. Afterwards, participants receive a certificate of participation.
1. Discovery: Describing where we'd like to get to
Establishing organisational context and high-level objectives, obstacles, and outcomes using these exercises (and more):
- Celebration-5W – our context-setting kickoff exercise
- True North / Obstacles – reflection, followed by obstacle generation and refinement
- 15-minute FOTO (Lite) – the introductory version of our Clean Language-inspired coaching game
- Plan on a Page – organising the outcomes produced in the preceding exercises
2. Exploration: Prospecting for opportunities
Prospecting for opportunities, practicing skills acquired in the first session and reinforcing the IdOO pattern as we dig into the detail:
- Survey debrief / obstacles – completing the Agendashift delivery assessment and working with the results
- 15-minute FOTO (Classic) – a more challenging version this time round
- Overview of some possible next steps
About Agendashift™, the wholehearted, outcome-oriented engagement model
In the vanguard of a new category, the engagement model
You can’t upgrade your organisation like you’re upgrading your email server! Traditional change management’s track record on cultural and other adaptive challenges is so disastrous that it’s time to carve out a new category, the engagement model.
Engagement models have just three jobs to do:
- To structure and support the work of those who would encourage innovation, change, and transformation
- To help the organisation engage its staff meaningfully in change-related work
- To keep the organisation’s parts engaged with each other as they change
If any of those jobs are yours too, you’d want an approach that encourages engagement, not destroys it!
Outcomes all the way down, outcome-oriented
Agendashift deals coherently, humanely, and strategically with outcomes ranging from the most aspirational of goals to the impact of the smallest experiment, and everything in between. With outcomes generated, organised, and developed through participation, agreement on outcomes is a natural part of the process; solutions follow as they should on a just-in-time basis.
Because we enjoy its broad range, we prefer not to define outcome too tightly. Here though are some helpful starting points:
- Someone’s need met (see also our definition of done and the first of our principles)
- A story’s happy ending
- The way the world changed for someone
Shared examples of outcomes such as these – both real and imagined – help to connect everyday work to mission, purpose, and strategy. That’s what makes outcomes so powerful!
We’re in the business of building wholehearted organisations
Our mission: Helping organisations grow in wholeheartedness – to become less at war with themselves, their obstacles, imbalances, and contradictions identified and owned, value and meaning created through authentic engagement.
More: About Agendashift™
Copyright © 2015-2023 Agendashift Ltd (formerly Positive Incline Ltd). All rights reserved. The page Coaching with Outcomes (CwO) by Mike Burrows of Agendashift Ltd is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/.
Source text maintained at github.com/asplake/agendashift-open/tree/master/workshops/coaching-with-outcomes.md (github.com)
For image source files (or simply to join the Agendashift mailing list), just ask:
I understand that I will be joining the Agendashift mailing list also
- The workshops:
- Transformation strategy: Core, Applied, and Deep Dive
- Outside-in strategy: Outside-in strategy review (OI-SR), Impact!, and Wholehearted:OKR
- Short training: Coaching with Outcomes (CwO), Strategic Mapping with Outcomes, Probe! and Implementing your OI-SDR
- Our mission: Wholehearted
- Agendashift Assessments and Free 14-day trial
- Events calendar – training and other events
- Leading with Outcomes from the Agendashift Academy (academy.agendashift.com):
- Agendashift: Outcome-oriented change and continuous transformation (2nd edition 2021)
- Right to Left: The digital leader’s guide to Lean and Agile (2019, audiobook 2020)
- Agendashift as framework
- The Agendashift blog (blog.agendashift.com)
- Agendashift communities on Slack and LinkedIn
Meet us online
- Subscribe (1-3 emails per month)
- Read our blog: blog.agendashift.com
- Join Agendashift on Slack
- Join our LinkedIn group: Agendashift
- Follow us on Twitter: @agendashift
Agendashift™ is brought to you by Agendashift Ltd (formerly Positive Incline Ltd), UK-based specialists in leadership, engagement, strategy, and change. Founder Mike Burrows came to prominence in the Lean-Agile community as the originator of Kanban’s values model, out of which came his first book, Kanban from the Inside (2014). His more recent books Agendashift (2nd edition 2021) and Right to Left (2019, audiobook 2020) bring a resolutely needs-based and outcome-oriented perspective to change, transformation, and the Lean-Agile landscape as a whole, contributing meanwhile a number of popular tools, games, and other resources. He works as a consultant, facilitator, and trainer, and as a keynote speaker at events public and private around the world.
Copyright © 2015-2023 Agendashift Ltd (formerly Positive Incline Ltd). All rights reserved. Privacy, security, and usage policies