I need to lead in a transforming organisation:
I want to help others to lead with outcomes:
We help leaders and engaged team members at every level to gain fluency in the language of outcomes – developing and pursuing strategies together, innovating and adapting as the organisation learns to renew and transform itself. More...
Workshops: Implementing your Outside-in Service Delivery Review (OI-SDR)
I was asked in a meetup last night what I would do if I could implement only one thing. Five years ago, I might have answered with “Validation”; today, my answer is the OI-SDR. It’s a piece of deliberate organisation design, building in the strong organisational expectation that learning will be happening – learning about our customers and learning about ourselves. An opportunity for double loop learning. And to do it justice, you’ll soon be practicing validation anyway!
– Mike Burrows (blog.agendashift.com)
This 2-hour hands-on online workshop will get your team, product line, value stream, or organisational unit started with the [Outside-in Service Delivery Review (OI-SDR)], a strategic and Lean-Agile twist on the classic operational review meeting. Based on real experience in the UK government digital space, this key governance meeting is introduced in Agendashift: Outcome-oriented change and continuous transformation (2nd edition 2021), described in depth in Right to Left: The digital leader’s guide to Lean and Agile (2019, audiobook 2020), and referenced on this site in the Right-to-Left Strategy Deployment pattern.
By the end of this workshop you will be well on your way to implementing your own OI-SDR successfully. With that, you will be building into your organisation design some powerful expectations: that experimentation will always be happening, that the strategy will be advancing, that service will continue to improve, and that intelligence and insights will be shared – all of that in a structure specifically designed to create leadership opportunities and to cause misalignments to reveal themselves.
- Thinking in circles:
- Interlinked circles of responsibility
- Concentric circles of alignment
- Performance measures
- Health indicators
- Stories, hypotheses, and experiments:
- Framing for maximum learning
- Focussing for maximum leverage
- The nuts and bolts of the OI-SDR meeting:
- Outside in (customer & environment first), then
- Right to left (outcome first)
- Protocols, participation, and preparation
This workshop is a natural companion to our transformation strategy workshops and outside-in strategy review workshops; accordingly it may be offered as part of a package. These workshops can be taken in either order or standalone:
- The OI-SDR workshop as groundwork before stepping back to strategy, whether focussed mainly on delivery and ways of working (Applied and Deep Dive), on customer/product/service strategy (Impact!), or on strategy more broadly (Wholehearted:OKR)
- The OI-SDR workshop as followup, establishing the infrastructure required to sustain the work agreed in a strategy review
- The OI-SDR workshop on its own as an opportunity to improve the design of your organisational unit’s governance mechanisms, with a view to improving performance and alignment
By default, this workshop is delivered online for 3-8 participants from the same organisational unit – at least acquainted with each other if not close colleagues. However, of your needs differ from that, don’t hesitate to ask.
Copyright © 2015-2023 Agendashift Ltd (formerly Positive Incline Ltd). All rights reserved. The page Implementing your Outside-in Service Delivery Review (OI-SDR) by Mike Burrows of Agendashift Ltd is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/.
Source text maintained at github.com/asplake/agendashift-open/tree/master/workshops/outside-in-service-delivery-review.md (github.com)
For image source files (or simply to join the Agendashift mailing list), just ask:
I understand that I will be joining the Agendashift mailing list also
Page sources for Implementing your Outside-in Service Delivery Review (OI-SDR)
- The workshops:
- Transformation strategy: Core, Applied, and Deep Dive
- Outside-in strategy: Outside-in strategy review (OI-SR), Impact!, and Wholehearted:OKR
- Short training: Coaching with Outcomes (CwO), Strategic Mapping with Outcomes, Probe! and Implementing your OI-SDR
- Our mission: Wholehearted
- Agendashift Assessments and Free 14-day trial
- Events calendar – training and other events
- Leading with Outcomes from the Agendashift Academy (academy.agendashift.com):
- Agendashift: Outcome-oriented change and continuous transformation (2nd edition 2021)
- Right to Left: The digital leader’s guide to Lean and Agile (2019, audiobook 2020)
- Agendashift as framework
- The Agendashift blog (blog.agendashift.com)
- Agendashift communities on Slack and LinkedIn
Meet us online
- Subscribe (1-3 emails per month)
- Read our blog: blog.agendashift.com
- Join Agendashift on Slack
- Join our LinkedIn group: Agendashift
- Follow us on Twitter: @agendashift
Agendashift™ is brought to you by Agendashift Ltd (formerly Positive Incline Ltd), UK-based specialists in leadership, engagement, strategy, and change. Founder Mike Burrows came to prominence in the Lean-Agile community as the originator of Kanban’s values model, out of which came his first book, Kanban from the Inside (2014). His more recent books Agendashift (2nd edition 2021) and Right to Left (2019, audiobook 2020) bring a resolutely needs-based and outcome-oriented perspective to change, transformation, and the Lean-Agile landscape as a whole, contributing meanwhile a number of popular tools, games, and other resources. He works as a consultant, facilitator, and trainer, and as a keynote speaker at events public and private around the world.
Copyright © 2015-2023 Agendashift Ltd (formerly Positive Incline Ltd). All rights reserved. Privacy, security, and usage policies