I need to lead in a transforming organisation:
I want to help others to lead with outcomes:
We help leaders and engaged team members at every level to gain fluency in the language of outcomes – developing and pursuing strategies together, innovating and adapting as the organisation learns to renew and transform itself. More...
Outside-in Service Delivery Review (OI-SDR)
aka the Strategy Performance and Alignment Review (SPAR)
I was asked in a meetup last night what I would do if I could implement only one thing. Five years ago, I might have answered with “Validation”; today, my answer is the OI-SDR. It’s a piece of deliberate organisation design, building in the strong organisational expectation that learning will be happening – learning about our customers and learning about ourselves. An opportunity for double loop learning. And to do it justice, you’ll soon be practicing validation anyway!
– Mike Burrows (blog.agendashift.com)
Agendashift’s Outside-in Service Delivery Review gives a strategic and Lean-Agile twist to the classic operational review meeting. Based on experience in the UK government digital space, it was introduced in the 2018 1st edition of Agendashift, described in chapter 5 of the 2019 book Right to Left: The digital leader’s guide to Lean and Agile and futher developed in the Agendashift 2nd edition (March 2021). It is released under a Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license.
The OI-SDR as organisation development opportunity
As discussed in the Agendashift 2nd edition (March 2021), under the heading Make your own Outside-in Service Delivery Review (OI-SDR):
- Who’s invited? (I): Who speaks to each agenda item?
- Subject to our minimum rule of three overall
- Metrics, sources
- Leading vs lagging
- See also OKR, 4DX (“act on lead measures”), Meaning, Measure, Method
- Who’s invited? (II): Thinking in circles
- See also Sociocracy and the rule of three page above
- Who’s invited? (III): Leadership
- Authenticity, psychological safety
- Specific opportunities for leadership as identified by models:
- Servant Leadership
- Host Leadership
- Viable System Model (VSM)
- The Outside-in Strategy Review (OI-SR) template
- The Right-to-Left Strategy Deployment pattern
- Rule of Three
- The Agendashift Experiment A3 template
Copyright © 2015-2023 Agendashift Ltd (formerly Positive Incline Ltd). All rights reserved. The page Outside-in Service Delivery Review (OI-SDR)<br>aka the Strategy Performance and Alignment Review (SPAR) by Mike Burrows of Agendashift Ltd is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/.
Source text maintained at github.com/asplake/agendashift-open/tree/master/resources/oi-sdr.md (github.com)
For materials (or simply to join the Agendashift mailing list), just ask:
I understand that I will be joining the Agendashift mailing list also
- About Agendashift
- Leading with Outcomes from the Agendashift Academy (academy.agendashift.com):
- Agendashift: Outcome-oriented change and continuous transformation (2nd edition 2021)
- Right to Left: The digital leader’s guide to Lean and Agile (2019, audiobook 2020)
- Agendashift as framework
- The Agendashift blog (blog.agendashift.com)
- Agendashift communities on Slack and LinkedIn
Meet us online
Agendashift™ is brought to you by Agendashift Ltd (formerly Positive Incline Ltd), UK-based specialists in leadership, engagement, strategy, and change. Founder Mike Burrows came to prominence in the Lean-Agile community as the originator of Kanban’s values model, out of which came his first book, Kanban from the Inside (2014). His more recent books Agendashift (2nd edition 2021) and Right to Left (2019, audiobook 2020) bring a resolutely needs-based and outcome-oriented perspective to change, transformation, and the Lean-Agile landscape as a whole, contributing meanwhile a number of popular tools, games, and other resources. He works as a consultant, facilitator, and trainer, and as a keynote speaker at events public and private around the world.
Copyright © 2015-2023 Agendashift Ltd (formerly Positive Incline Ltd). All rights reserved. Privacy, security, and usage policies